Monday, April 4, 2011

Molecular pathobiology of COPD and lung cancer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21430413

Respiration. 2011;81(4):265-84. Epub 2011 Mar 24.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer: new molecular insights.
Adcock IM, Caramori G, Barnes PJ.

Airways Disease Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, UK.
Abstract
Both chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and lung cancer are major causes of death worldwide. In most cases this reflects cigarette smoke exposure which is able to induce an inflammatory response in the airways of smokers. Indeed, COPD is characterized by lower airway inflammation, and importantly, the presence of COPD is by far the greatest risk factor for lung cancer amongst smokers. Cigarette smoke induces the release of many inflammatory mediators and growth factors including TGF-β, EGFR, IL-1, IL-8 and G-CSF through oxidative stress pathways and this inflammation may persist for decades after smoking cessation. Mucus production is also increased by these inflammatory mediators, further linking airway inflammation to an important mechanism of lung cancer. A greater understanding of the molecular and cellular pathobiology that distinguishes smokers with lung cancer from smokers with and without COPD is needed to unravel the complex molecular interactions between COPD and lung cancer. By understanding the common signalling pathways involved in COPD and lung cancer the hope is that treatments will be developed that not only treat the underlying disease process in COPD, but also reduce the currently high risk of developing lung cancer in these patients.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Dr. Allen,

    I just sent this study along to a dear friend who is smoking through his COPD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After having a persistent cough for over a year, I was diagnosed with COPD
      in March 2015. In 2016 my COPD got worse to the point where not only do I
      have trouble sleeping at night, I also struggle to get air into my lungs. I
      read in a health forum of a herbal centre (native health clinic) who have successful treatment to COPD/Emphysema, i immediately
      contacted the herbal centre via their website and purchased the COPD herbal
      remedy, I used the remedy for 2 weeks, all my symptoms were reversed, i did
      another test for confirmation, i was declared COPD free. email (
      nativehealthclinic@gmail.com) or WhatsApp/Call him on +2348140073965

      Delete
  2. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation com which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete