Wednesday, October 17, 2012

From the Huffington Post: "I am more than okay with the notion that weight and waist circumference do not measure human worth"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/obesity-crisis_b_1967677.html


Why I Can't Quite Be Okay With 'Okay at Any Size'






"There has long been a movement to defend the overweight from a prevailing lack of understanding. And, alas, that defense seems to be needed.

The evidence of obesity bias in our culture is abundant and pervasive, and can be found from playground to boardroom. We have historically done a poor job of attacking the problem of obesity without attacking those burdened by the problem of obesity.
.............

So I am not only okay with "okay at any size" up to a point, but an active proponent. I oppose obesity bias, and reject the notion that widespread obesity among children and adults alike is somehow due to an inexplicable, global outbreak of personal responsibility deficiency syndrome. If you have evidence of such an outbreak, it would be the first I've heard of it.

I am more than okay with the notion that weight and waist circumference do not measure human worth. I will gladly stand shoulder-to-shoulder with others inclined to fight in defense of this proposition.

I am not just okay, but adamant, that we should be able to attack the problem of obesity without attacking those dealing with the problem of obesity.

And I can be okay with "okay at any size" if it includes a proviso: okay at any size as long as health is not adversely affected.

But when weight imperils health, as it clearly does all too often, I am not okay with it."



No comments:

Post a Comment