Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hazing: "The Marines are training for war, not to share beers."

http://thedartmouth.com/2012/10/24/opinion/brooks


Brooks: Use and Abuse of Hazing Practices

By David Brooks, Staff Columnist
Published on Wednesday, October 24, 2012


"But didn’t I say that hazing had made me a better person? Yes, but my hazing served a purpose beyond the typical “brotherhood” excuse that is often touted by fraternities. The Marines are training for war, not to share beers. My DIs were my superiors who had endured one of the most strenuous training schools in the Marine Corps for the right to make me a Marine. No other student at this school is your superior. The DI in the above story had set off from Kuwait to Baghdad at the beginning of the Iraq War. He led his platoon right into Saddam Hussein’s palace. He knew what it took to mold me into the person that could succeed in the environment that he had also endured. No student should be expected to endure beatings, incentive training or the level of personal subjugation that Yesuto described."



No comments:

Post a Comment