Sunday, October 7, 2012

Need another reason to work out? Seniors engaged in social interaction, fitness are living longer

http://www.fyibehealthy.com/2012/10/06/seniors-engaged-in-social-interaction-fitness-are-living-longer/


Seniors engaged in social interaction, fitness are living longer

Social cohesion may be helping Japan achieve an average life expectancy of 84 years, the world's longest.
At 6 a.m. each morning, she and hundreds of her neighbors gather in Myoshoji Park for a half hour of stretching and breathing exercises, joining 28 million Japanese following instructions broadcast nationally on the radio. Afterwards, Doi’s group stays on in the park to socialize over a game of petanque, or French bowls.
“I’m having so much fun every day,” Doi said. “I live alone, but I’m not lonely at all. Everybody looks after me. They phone to see how I am if I don’t show up.”





No comments:

Post a Comment