Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lung function decline in heavy male smokers relates to baseline airflow obstruction severity

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22722231


 2012 Jun 21. [Epub ahead of print]

Lung function decline in heavy male smokers relates to baseline airflow obstruction severity.

Source

1Division of Heart & Lungs, Department of Respiratory Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, the Netherlands.

Abstract

RATIONALE
Recent evidence indicates that the rate of lung function decline is steepest in mild COPD and slower in moderate to severe COPD. The current study assessed whether lung function decline relates to baseline airflow obstruction severity in male heavy smokers.

METHODS
In total, 2,003 male smokers with a mean (SD) age of 59.8 (5.3) years underwent pulmonary function testing at baseline and after 3 year follow-up. Participants were classified by entry FEV(1)/FVC as follows: Group 1, >70%; Group 2, <70% but >LLN; and group 3, <LLN. Differences in lungfunction decline among the groups were assessed using multiple regression after adjustment for packyears, smoking status (current/former smoker), presence/absence of mucus production, centre, height, age, CT-derived emphysema severity (Perc15), observation time (years in study) and the baseline values.

RESULTS
Over three years, the mean (SD) FEV(1)/FVC , FEV(1) and MEF(50) decreases in Group 1 were 3.1% (1), 0.21 L (0.07) and a 0.40 L/s (0.26), respectively. In Group 3, these decreases were 2.4% (1.1), 0.15 L (0.08) and 0.06 L/s (0.19), respectively. All lung function parameters showed the greatest decline in Group 1 (p<0.001).

CONCLUSION
Diagnosing COPD based on the presence of more severe airflow obstruction (as defined by FEV(1)/FVC <LLN) means that, at the time of such a diagnosis, subjects passed the phase of strong lung function decline.

1 comment:

  1. I need someone to help me understand something I am 59 yrs old and have had no change in my pulonary test in last 2 yrs. I had episode of SVT with Heart rate 210 and bp 168/128,Which my dr told me was impossible.It took 3 doses of adenosine to get it back baseline.understand my normal HR is 78 unless I have one of these attacks and I have had several and resolved them at home but this one hurt in my jaws my throat burned.so cardiologist working up my ultrsound nml.I am a heavy smoker for 40 yrs quit several time for 6 mos to 2 yrs.my problem is I have severe hypoxia especially lying down I have seen it hit 80 on the pulse ox. yesterday while walking me off o2 it fell to 84 it usally does not do that during the day. but I was wheezing some spring allergies.now I am on oxygen 24 hrs a day which I don't intend to do. as here at home I ck it 95 96 97. I have picked date to quit smoking perm. this time. My pulmo was a asshole. told me I was alive and i could live nml life if I quit smoking. and my oxygen will return to normal. They put oxygen on me and walked me and it only come up 1 point with 3liters figure that out.I am so upset he said my FEV1 was 157 not bad for my age and wgt and would not explain why my oxygen is bottoming out said he would contact my cardiologist. I do have Rheumoid, and degen Arth and herniated disc and I am on opoids for that. could that bottom it out???? Every Dr knows it and I follow my instructions never go over. When I worked in the lab at DR office I have seen ppl on oxycontin nonsmokers have really low 02. I will shut up now I am worried confused and getting a new pulmo. thanks
    quess I should be grateful it is not cancer.

    ReplyDelete