Sunday, March 31, 2013

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Vascular Disease Delay Timeliness of Early Stage Lung Cancer Resectional Surgery

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23537504

 2013 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Vascular Disease Delay Timeliness of Early Stage Lung Cancer Resectional Surgery.

Source

Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Naval Medical Center San Diego , San Diego, California , USA.

Abstract

Abstract Introduction: Lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer death in the United States and worldwide. Timeliness to diagnosis and referral for resectional surgey is key to successful management for early stage disease. Methods: We investigated the contribution of medical co-morbidities in the timeliness to resectional surgery for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). A retrospective record review of NSCLC surgery cases at Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD) from 2004 to 2009 from the tumor registry was conducted. Results: More than 75% of NSCLC patients exhibited at least one co-morbidity. Of the 84 patients, 26% of patients had diabetes, patients with different vascular co-morbidities accounted for 39%, whereas 33% of subjects had COPD. Patients with sleep apnea or liver disease each accounted for 6%. Vascular disease co-morbidity and COPD in NSCLC patients significantly delayed time from initial cardiothoracic surgery evaluation to thoracotomy (p = 0.01-0.02 and p < 0.05 respectively). Conclusion: Although significances of different co-morbities in the development NSCLC cannot be extrapolated, theses data show that COPD and vascular diseases are significant risk factors that delay surgical treatment of early stage lung cancer.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation .c om which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete