Saturday, December 1, 2012

"I still remember how thrilled I was the first time I used a toy microscope to observe a drop of dirty water, teeming with life"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23051768


 2012 Oct 11;490(7419):S14-5. doi: 10.1038/490S14a.

Socially responsible science. Interview by Olive Heffernan.



The first Mexican-born scientist to become a Nobel laureate in chemistry, Mario Molina shared the 1995 prize for his role in discovering the threat posed by chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) to Earth's ozone layer. An optimist who passionately pursued science from a young age, Molina now focuses on finding practical solutions to environmental challenges.

I became interested in science as a child after reading biographies of famous scientists. Later, when I was about ten, I received a chemistry set as a present from my parents. I still remember how thrilled I was the first time I used a toy microscope to observe a drop of dirty water, teeming with life. Years later I took control of a bathroom that no one used at home and turned it into a laboratory, and I carried out more sophisticated chemistry experiments with the help of an aunt who was a chemist.

No comments:

Post a Comment