Friday, October 24, 2014

From U Washington: Medicolegal pitfalls of cataract surgery

 2014 Oct 21. [Epub ahead of print]

Medicolegal pitfalls of cataract surgery.

Author information

  • Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Washington, USA.

Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW:

To provide a general overview of medicolegal issues that may arise before, during, and after cataract surgery RECENT FINDINGS: The Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General has designated ophthalmology as an auditing target, an unusual step to take for an entire specialty. Ongoing False Claims Act litigation may provide greater clarity on billing Medicare for a premium intraocular lens patient's return to the operating room and charging for an intervening exam when performing cataract surgery on both eyes.

SUMMARY:

Ophthalmologists should continue to follow basic principles that help decrease medicolegal risk. These include a thorough informed consent discussion before surgery and accurate and contemporaneous documentation. When complications arise, surgeons should handle them in accordance with best practices and refer patients appropriately. Problems can arise from inattentive postoperative care, so ophthalmologists should train staff members on handling of patient calls. Implementing safety protocols for intraocular lens implantation and asking for legal advice when considering certain types of financial arrangements are also prudent. Cataract surgeons also should follow guidelines for billing noncovered services carefully.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Thanks a lot for that review on the Medicolegal Services Pitfalls on Cataract surgery that you explained here. It's very curious issue for every medical services providers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indeed very grateful to God for his goodness in my life, and also I want to use this medium to extend my gratitude to Doctor Uwadia Amenifo for curing me of my glaucoma and diabetes with his wonderful herbs. Beloved brothers and sisters Milk David is my name, I suffered from diabetes for 20 years my sugar level was over 200. In addition to that I was also having great issues with my eyes my doctor diagnosed cataract/glaucoma. This problem was as a result of my work in the banking sector where my eyes was always exposed to a computer set.it became worst that I was unable to see anything clearly. When one is close to me, I could only see the head to the chest. My doctor prescribed so many medicines for me, and I was taking medicine for both my diabetes and glaucoma. But the medicines were not doing me well, as I was still suffering from both ailments. But someone introduced me to an herbalist Dr Amenifo, and I got in contact with him. After explaining to him, he assured me of total cure with his herbal medicine off course no harm in trying I tried to believe him and I gave him a try. Behold he prepared the herbal medicine and shipped it to me, I used it as prescribed by him, and behold I am totally free and cured for first my glaucoma, and the second arrangement was made to also cure me of my diabetes, he prepared the herbal medicine for diabetes, and shipped it to me. After using it my brothers I am here to say I am now totally cured of my diabetes my current sugar level now is 100. Please I want you all to help me say a big thanks to Dr Uwadia for saving my life. In case you have problems same as mine as I then was, please I advise you to immediately contact Dr Uwadia, and get your permanent cure. His contact details are as follows. Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com) and his digit is (+2349052015874).

    ReplyDelete